Examination is a basic academic activity and an essential component of the learning process. Its main purposes are to encourage student learning, to make judgements about student achievement, and to monitor effectiveness of the learning environment.
Exams and assignments are the two most commonly used approaches to assessment in higher education. Different methods of assessment provide the means of ensuring that students can demonstrate the range of their abilities in different situations. Hence, it has become strictly essential that faculty members at Egyptian universities possess related knowledge and skills that enable them design authentic examinations that verify the intended learning outcomes of the academic program and courses.
By the end of the workshop participants should be able to:
- Analyse exams against course ILOs.
- Identify basic functions and associated outcomes of the examination process.
- Design an exam using different questioning techniques.
- Evaluate and rate an exam against set of criteria.
- Criticise current examination process at Egyptian universities.
PowerPoint presentation and handouts for presentation
Worksheets, group work, role play, case studies and posters for active engagement of participants
Laptop, data show, flipcharts, flashcards and markers are needed